January Soup Recipes
I am working on my January Booth at the Inside Out Market. The Campbells Soup sculpture was fired yesterday. The booth is all ready for cold soup days with many new soup bowls and mugs. Also, there are free soup recipes of my favorite soups on the front table for anyone to take.
The cracker tray is the perfect size for Ritz crackers. I had a hard time parting with this one and will make another one for myself soon.
Julie’s Crock Pot Chili
This is a recipe that Julie shared and won first place in a chili contest at Goodpasture School in Nashville. I am not that enthusiastic as a cook. My ideal recipe is to have 5 ingredients or less, preferably opening cans. My husband is the cook in the family. He likes to chop and dice and especially make people happy with whatever he cooks.
Julie’s Crock-pot Chili
- 4 TBS chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 TBS minced onion
- 2 cans Rotel Original diced tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel Chili Fixin’s diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz ) can Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can Bush’s Chili kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can Bush’s regular kidney beans
- Mix together seasoning mix
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. (You will only use 5 tsp in this recipe. Save the rest for next time.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink
- Add onion and 3 tsp of the seasoning mix
- In Crock-Pot, add tomatoes, tomato sauce. one can and beans and 2 more tsp of seasoning mix
- Place the other can of beans in a blender and process until smooth
- Add beans and meat to the Crock-Pot
- Stir together and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours
Evelyn’s Cabbage Beef Soup
This healthy recipe is one of Charlie’s mother’s soup recipes.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups of water or chicken stock
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped up
- 2 to 3 carrots (cook before adding to the soup)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 cans of dark red kidney beans
- 1 onion
Brown the chuck, drain and add chopped onion. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the other ingredients and simmer until the cabbage is soft.
Tomato Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Here is the best vegetable soup that Charlie has ever made. One ingredient that is different is a can of tomato soup.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed tomato soup
- 1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen (small cut) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef, onion, garlic and salt until no longer pink. Break up meat in crumbles as it cooks. Drain and return to the soup pot.
- Add chopped potatoes, beef broth, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, frozen vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, and the seasonings. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to combine and the soup to become thicker.