Half Sour Pickles and New Functional Pottery
When Charlie makes these pickles, they do not last long.
Half Sour Pickles
- 12 pickling cucumbers- Kirby small cucumbers
- 1/4 tsp dill seed
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- pinch of sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 quarts of water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, split and deseeded
- extra mustard seeds and black pepper seeds
- Slice the cukes into 1/4 inch rounds
- Boil the water, salt and vinegar in a large pot. Remove from the heat.
- Add all spices, cukes and jalapeno
- Place a plate or weight on top of the cukes to keep them submerged. Allow them to sit overnight ( about 8 hrs)
- Put in jars and store in the refrigerator
Our church is blessed with wonderful cooks. This recipe is one of Barbara Tomlinson’s signature dishes.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup melted butter (no substitutions)
- 2 eggs
In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and pecans- set aside. Combine butter, eggs, mix well and stir in flour mixture until moist. Fill greased or paper lined miniature muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove immediately from tin and cool on a wire rack. Barbara’s note: ” I add a little more than one cup of pecans. Careful not to overcook. I usually double this recipe when I cook it.
Cool Cucumber Sandwich
Sewanee, TN is a good day trip, especially to eat at Shenanigans. restaurant. If you are tired of chicken salad sandwiches, the Cool Cucumber Sandwich is a treat for you. We ate there two days in a row, then Charlie analyzed the sandwich and came home and made it to a tee. The recipe makes enough for two sandwiches with enough left over cream cheese, cucumbers, and onions for two sandwiches on another day.
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/4 cup chopped (in small squares) onion
- 1 12 0z tub of whipped cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp of mayonnaise
- Everything bagels
- 1 package of fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 4 slices of Provolone cheese
- Slice the cucumbers into thin round slices
- Mix 4 cups of water with 1 Tbsp vinegar. Put the cucumbers in this mixture and let set in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Saute’ the onions in canola oil until clear. Set aside on paper towel to drain.
- Chop the dill fronds
- Drain and pat dry the cucumbers then salt and pepper them
- Mix the cream cheese with 1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise, the chopped dill, and the 1 tsp of dried chives. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the sandwich together. Half the bagel and spread lightly with mayonnaise on bottom half. Next sprinkle a few of the sautéed onions on the bottom half of the bagel. Place 2 thin slices of provolone cheese on top of the onions. Put cucumbers on the sandwich next. Finally, on the top half of bagel spread the cream cheese mixture.
- Put each half together and enjoy
Several years ago on a Gatlinburg trip, I saw a bear painting that I liked. But instead of buying it, I decided I could paint one instead. So for a few years, I attempted several paintings which I was not satisfied with. Last May when we went back to Gatlinburg, I was on a quest to find that bear painting with a mama bear and her cub going up a hill. Of course, it was gone. So my painting began again. I just finished my bear paintings and they are hanging on each side of our bed.