Mexican Recipes Chicken Tortilla Soup and Avocado Tacos
And Summer Pottery Projects
Tortilla Soup and Avocado Taco
Our favorite restaurant in East Nashville is Mas Tacos. I always get the Chicken Tortilla Soup and the Avocado Taco. Charlie learned how to duplicate these recipes. The Tortilla soup is a wonderful recipe, though time consuming. Charlie loves to chop and dice and does not mind spending hours in the kitchen. I am more of an open a can of soup cook.
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 1. onion,quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1. jalapeno (with seeds), halved lenghwise
- 7. cilantro sprigs
- 3. tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 5 corn tortillas, cut in 1/2″ thick strips
- 2 ears of husked corn, or 2 cups frozen thawed corn kernels
- chopped fresh cilantro, halved cherry tomatoes, avocado wedges, mild feta
- Bring chicken, onion, carrot, garlic, chipotles, jalapeño, and 16 cups of water to a boil in a large soup pot; skim foam from the surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, skimming the surface frequently, until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees F, about 45 minutes ( Check the temperature after 30 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Strain broth into another large pot. Return chiles to broth, if a spicier broth is desired, discard remaining solids.
- Shred chicken meat; discard skin and bones. Transfer meat in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set pot with strained broth over medium heat, and add cilantro sprigs. Bring broth to a simmer; cook until reduced to 8 cups, about 1 hour. Discard sprigs and chiles.. Stir in 3 tablespoons lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to broth.
- Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth 1″.Heat over medium heat. Working in batches, fry tortilla strips, turning occasionally until crisp and brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel drain. Season with salt.
- Cook corn under a broiler, turning occasionally, until charred in spots. Let stand until cool to handle. Cut kernels from the cob is strips.
- Rewarm broth with chicken. Divide soup among bowls. Top generously with corn, tortilla chips, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and crumbled queso fresco. Add a final squeeze of lime juice to each bowl.
To be added later. Basically you deep fry slices of avocado and put slaw and a peach salsa in the soft taco.